Sunday, August 10, 2008

Trip to Tahoma

Ashten EARL "Thousands of Stones"
Tahoma National Cemetery
"Where Heroes Lie"

Grandpa's birthday was on the first and since then I have been thinking about him a lot and have been wanting to go out to his grave in Covington. So after church today, we went home and I cut some fresh flowers from the yard then we headed out. As soon as we pulled into the entrance Ayden remembered instantly that "this is the place with thousands of stones." (I don't remember when we were there last but I was amazed that he remembered that at the entrance sign where you can't see any of the head stones.) I love to go out there it always makes me cry but I still love to go there and think about him. The boys don't understand yet, but it's interesting to hear their questions and to talk to them about their GGpa. Here is one of the conversations I had with Ashten on the drive home.

Ashten: "Where does our Ggpa live?"

Me: "He lives in heaven with Heavenly Father."

Ashten: "Why does he live there?"

Me: "He was old and he died."

Ashten: "Why did he die?"

Me: "He had Cancer it's a sickness."

Ashten: "When is he going to get fixed so he can come back? I miss him." (Ashten was born about 3 months after Grandpa passed away.)

You should have seen the concern in his eyes when he asked that, I couldn't help but tear up. It's hard to take the boys there but I hope that they will learn a reverence when we take them and that they will also learn to respect the veteran's who have served our country.


1 comment:

Debbie said...

I cried when I read your blog. I believe Ashten does miss his ggpa. Probably ran into up in heaven.