Saturday, August 30, 2008

O Canada...Or Not!

Luckily we brought lots of food to keep us busy at the Duty Free.
Have you ever been inside a Duty Free? Let me break it down for you: 75% Alcohol, 10% Tobacco Products, 10% Perfume, and 5% misc Ayden and Ashten pretended that Ashten was the naughty baby while Ayden pushed him around in the stroller. (not too much of a stretch there)
Ashten, Anderson, and Ayden at Edaleen's Dairy
Who knew that 75 cent water would make these boys SO happy
I taught Ayden how to roll down the hill, he loved this. This is the irrigation canal (not sure if that's really what it's called) that the kids played in for a LONG time filling the "tunnel" with huge rocks.

Armand had to deliver a trailer into Canada today. The boys and I do not have passports so we planned on waiting at the border for him to drop it off and come back to get us. So we were dropped off at the Duty Free in Lynden. When we decided to come along for the ride, we thought that they lived 5 minutes inside of the entrance. Unfortunately, the buyers didn't know the difference between Lynden truck entrance and the Blaine Peace Arch truck entrance. They ended up telling us it was Lynden we needed to go to. The boys and I sat at the Duty Free for a little over an hour. The cashier there was very concerned that Armand had left us for good... I was feeling uncomfortable that she kept coming out and talking to me about it so we decided to walk down to the dairy that was on the same street (.83) miles away. It was actually scary, the cars were flying past us at 50mph and we had only a narrow strip of cement to walk on, but we got there safely. The boys and I had ice cream and AJ had yogurt at Edaleen's Dairy, which was so yummy. We played outside at the picnic tables. The kids made friends with the other kid visitors and they chased each other around. Eventually, the Dairy closed and it was getting dark and cold. Finally, Armand was on the way to get us (we were left in Lynden for 3 hours!) Then we had to go back to the border at Blaine, where we found out that we could have gotten in with just our birth certificates. The boys had lots of fun and I didn't mind the waiting except that I was so mad that I had forgotten my book to read.

Here is a story that happened at Edaleen's I thought it was kind of funny (and embarrassing). Ayden earlier at the Duty Free began to notice ALOT of men wearing turbans. I'm not sure where he learned it but he told me that they were Indians. I was trying to explain that we don't need to point and yell it out and that there are people from different countries that wear turbans so we shouldn't just call them all Indians. (I hope I am right about this--I just tried to Google it and it looks like I am) Anyways, so at the dairy he saw another man with a turban and he got really excited and I said to him "remember what we talked about." This is what happened next.

Ayden to man: "Hi"

Man: "Hi"

Ayden: "Hi, Indian"

Me in my head: "Oh my Gosh!! Where can I run and hide?"

Man with a big smile: "Hi!! Muy Bien! Ah, very good!! Are you Americans?"

Me in my head: O, thank goodness he thought Ayden said Muy Bien!...."Yes we're Americans"

Man with confused look on his face: "Oh.... You're Americans?"

HAHA I know I will be embarrassed by the boys so many more times in my life but so far this one is the winner. I AM glad that Ayden was so excited about it and I hope that he will continue to love all people and be excited to learn about them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is HILARIOUS!!!! Don't you just love what kids say... Olivia kept asking my Aunt and Uncle if they were drinking coffee- and I was so worried that she would say "why, that's bad for you"- thank goodness she didn't!!

Cook family said...

I probably would have died if one of my kids had done that. Good thing the guy heard him wrong. Your kids are so funny.

The VanderHoevens said...

When Josh was younger he liked to walk past people smoking and say really loud "smoking makes you stinky, doesn't it mommy" - so true - but not really what needs to be announced right then and there.

J and H Hunsaker said...

That is soooo funny it reminds of Jared at th track one morning and there was an old man running with his shirt off and he was riding his bike next to him and I was pretty sure he was talking to him I don't know waht he said but I can only imagine. He probably commented on his man boobs LOL

~*~Mariah~*~ said...

Oh my goodness!!!
Don't worry it could've been worse...
One day i'll tell you the story about the chocolate one!