Sunday, May 25, 2008

ER

Poor little Ashty waiting for the blood draw
This is his "rooster" he played with it for hours and he fell asleep with it, holding it like one of his "babies" and his ankle bracelet that kept scratching him, he wanted it off so bad that finally, after a couple hours of trying, he was able to stretch it over his heel.
Last night, we sent the kids to bed around 7pm because no one had had a nap and everyone was cranky. At 8pm Ashten came out of the room crying that Ayden was being mean or torturing him I'm sure, so I told him to go get his blankies and lay on my bed which is where he naps anyway. So he went and was quiet right away which is normal. Just after 9pm Armand and I went in and were getting our jammies on forgetting that Ashten was there we were turning on lights and being loud til we saw him then we were laying on the bed looking at how cute he is haha, I was thinking it was weird that he didn't wake up because the other day I came in (he had never waken from his nap so he was still on the bed) and he woke right up and asked me what I was doing. So anyways, then I went to the bathroom and saw a random pill on the floor...then the completely empty foil (Dulcolax). So, I tried to wake him up and saw 4 benadryl empty foils on the floor (luckily there were 3 pills (chewed on and leaking but at least they were there.) We had a really hard time waking him up, so I called Poison Control and told me to look in the bathroom for anything else he had possibly taken. When I looked more I found that he had gotten into Armand's travel bag (later he said he was looking for a Band-Aid) there was a bottle of Tylenol half opened:( So we were told to go to the hospital ASAP. I took Ashten to St Francis and they got him right in. We sat there waiting for the blood draw that was supposed to happen at 12:45am...Ashten was bouncing off the walls by this time! He was SO excited to get a shot<---seriously, I'm not joking that's all he talked about as soon as we walked into the hospital. When the nurses (one to take the blood and one to restrain him) came in to take his blood they swaddled him like a baby with one arm out, thinking he would freak out. I told them he was ready and excited but they looked at me like I was crazy. <-- I would too. He laid there so calm and didn't even flinch when they stuck that needle in his arm. The "restraining" nurse said: "I guess you don't need me afterall." HAHA After that Ashten had some juice and graham crackers and we cuddled up on his 1/2 twin size bed (it was TINY) and slept til just after 2am this morning, when they said he could go home. We are so blessed that he is healthy and well. I hope that someone will read this and think about where they might have medications that aren't in a good place right now (diaper bag, purse, anywhere reachable to little ones) and MOVE THEM.

5 comments:

The VanderHoevens said...

That would be so scary - certainly a good reminder to all of us parents to be sure stuff like that is put away good!

Megs said...

How scary, I would be freaking out!!!!! I'm glad everything is ok.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh- how scary!!!!!!

Stephanie said...

That's a very crazy and scary night! I am so glad that he is okay.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

oh scary. i'm glad he is ok. how frightening as a parent.